Promotion of Olive Cultivation for Economic Development and Poverty Alleviation” executed by Pakistan Agricultural Research Council
The Olive Promotional Project is a MoU development project funded by government of Italy. This project was handed over to Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC) after devolution of Pakistan Oil Development Board (PODB) on 12th February 2012 at total cost of Rs.382,153, 016 (Three Hundred Eighty Three Million One Hundred Fifty Three Thousand Sixteen Only). The project started from 1st June 2012. It duration is 36 months completed by 30th June 2015.
- To expand the cultivation of olives in selected areas as specified in the studies conducted by the previous IAO project.
- To set up a number of new olive processing facilities completed with supporting infrastructures and equipment.
- To promote the cultivation of olive crop and the use of the olive oil through different means (media, internet, schools, food exhibitions, seminars etc).
- Stimulate PPP’s for the future management of the newly established orchards and oil mills to ensure the sustainability of the interventions throughout the active involvement of the local communities/beneficiaries.
- Provide training, conduct technical studies and provide assistance to farmers.
Scope of Program
- Olive Orchard development at National level
- Establishment of new plantations on one thousand five hundred hectares (1500) of olive.
- Technical support provided to PODB’s previously converted orchards, with provision of fertilizer and insecticides/fungicides.
- Establishment of four new modern oil mills, managed through PPP’s agreements to be signed between PARC and local farmer’s associations, cooperatives and/ or CBO’s.
- Held promotional campaigns’, at local and national level, focusing on olive cultivation and olive oil use (9 events)
- Conducted 15 practical/theoretical training sessions.
- Establishment of a table olive processing unit, and three specialised olive tree nurseries.
- Conducted one technical study on cultivar adaptability at national level.
The management structure of the project authorizes the National Project Director (NPD) of the project to approve and fund provincial components on priority basis. Mechanism for approvals and implementation of the project has been provided in the project. Project Steering Committee (PSC) under Secretary M/o National Food Security & Research on the behalf of management committee provides overall guidance and authorizes technical revision and appropriation of funds within approved cost and scope