Management of knowledge generated from different research and development activities is key factor for sustainable development in agriculture. Successful implementation of technologies and innovations developed by researchers depends on their availability in the formats that could be understandable and acceptable. In order to benefit from the experiences and to add value, it is important to develop a system for knowledge management and its dissemination for proper application by the end users. Realizing this, Directorate of Scientific Communication and Publications has been reconstituted by merging Scientific Information, Publications and Audio-Visual Communication. Whereas, the Scientific Information set-up at NARC was established in 1984. Earlier, it was functional as Documentation Centre under USAID project since 1973. It is a technical facility providing a variety of services to the scientific community at national, regional and international levels. The Directorate introduced the use of computers, CD-ROM. It also introduced electronic information location, collection, processing and dissemination technologies during 1980s, in National Agricultural Research System (NARS) of Pakistan.
To cater the information needs of National Agricultural Research System (NARS) and its scientific community by locating, processing, storing and disseminating information related to agriculture research and development in all mediums.
- Establish and maintain a national agricultural reference and research library.
- Serve as national focal point for agricultural information activities/programs
- Advanced medium of Audio-Visual for efficient and effective agriculture research knowledge in national system.
- Prepare, publish and distribute research/popular journals, reports and technical bulletins on different agricultural disciplines
- To maintain and update PARC Website “http://www.parc.gov.pk”.
- To develop and maintain “Pakistan Agriculture Database”.
- To work as FAO AGRIS National Liaison Office in Pakistan and regularly send input of Pakistani published agricultural research literature for their databases after processing.
- To develop Liaison with international, regional, national and provincial agricultural information centers/organizations.
- To help NARS scientists, faculty members and students in review of literature and acquisition of articles/documents reprints
- To provide facilities for scientific and functional photographic coverage of labs, fields and important events.
- To design and produce various types of audio-visual materials and documentaries.
- To organize the telecast and broadcast of the audio and video programmes.
- To provide day-to-day services to PARC/NARC scientists regarding the design, production and utilization of audio-visual communications material
- To strengthen in-house capabilities to facilitate printing of various types of materials.
The Directorate of Scientific Communication & Publication has the following programs:
|Dr. Muhammad Arshad Ullah||
Director (DSC&P), NARC